Start a Business

Start a Business

The Paris Economic Development Corporation and government entities in Paris strive to make the city’s business environment friendly to all potential operations, regardless of size or the type of manufacturing they are engaged in. Paris is united in its pro-business attitude and will do what is necessary to support your project. Generally speaking, these steps can be applied to almost all new business start-ups.

Business Structure and Registration:

Determine the structure that best suits your business. Generally, sole proprietorships and partnerships will need to register and file their business name (DBA or assumed name) with the Lamar County Clerk. If incorporating a business, the Texas Secretary of State’s Office (SOS) can assist in choosing the right legal structure for the business. Securing a business name by registering the name and filing it through the SOS Office.

Employer Tax Identification Numbers:

Determine if you need a Federal Identification Number (FEIN or EIN). For more information, click here. Apply for a Federal Identification Number from the IRS or call 800-829-4933.

Other Tax Responsibilities:

State tax filings are done through the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts (CPA).
Local Tax filings are done through the Lamar County Appraisal District (LCAD).

Business Licenses and Permits:

A “general” business license is not required in Texas. However, it is important to determine if any licenses, permits, certifications, registrations, or authorizations are necessary for any specific business activities at the federal, state, and local levels. For assistance with determining which of these may apply to your business, use the Texas Economic Development & Tourism Business Permit Office (BPO). To determine if you are required to obtain a permit or license from the City of Paris, click here.

For more information from the primary sources of registration, you can also visit:
Texas Secretary of State for information regarding business structure and name registration.
The Texas Comptroller for information on how to register a business for Webfile.
The Texas Workforce Commission for information on how to establish an account for state
unemployment taxes for new businesses with employees.

Frequently Asked Questions:

For answers to FAQs regarding Business Financing, Business Licensing, Permitting, Certification and Registration, and Business Resources, please visit Texas Economic Development. For more information on joining Paris’ Business Community, please call the PEDC at (903) 784-6964.